April 7, 2010

Drip Irrigation

There are many ways to water your garden: rain, sprinkler, by hand, with a hose, soaker hose, or drip. They each have benefits:

  • Rain is the easiest and cheapest,
  • sprinklers water everything and gets foliage wet,
  • by hand takes along time,
  • with a hose means you have to pull a hose all over
  • ...and then there were two.

For the past few years, I have been using soaker hoses. They are porous hoses that allow water to seep out through the walls. I really liked them. They are easy to lay out, easy to move, minimizes water wastage and puts the water where the plants need it, in the root zone. I found a really good buy on soaker hoses several years ago and we bought hundreds of feet. Then we kept buying a few more every year. If you have a small garden, I think soaker hoses work great; don't be afraid to use them. Just buy a pressure regulator.

The problem with soaker hoses was, when I first bought them, they were made well and lasted; like most things, though, the quality went down. I kept blowing holes in them and I had to patch. It got to a point that I had more money in patches than I had in the hose itself. So, this year I am throwing out all my hoses and moving to drip tape.

What is Drip Tape?
Drip tape is a flat tape with pre-inserted drippers every 12". The line expands when filled with water. It is ideal to use in vegetable gardens or where total saturation coverage is desired. Drip tape can be installed above or below the ground with emitters facing up.

Drip tape is really easy to install. First, you run a header line. A header line is a black plastic pipe that carries the water to all the rows of drip tape. I am using a 1/2-inch header line. I bought hundreds of feet very cheap. If you are buying new, I would go with 3/4 or even 1 inch.

Here is a picture of the header line with drip tape attached.



Here is the drip tape running by a tomato plant.




How do you attach the drip tape to the header line?
It is a three step process.
  1. punch a hole in the header line with a special tool.
  2. attach a drip lock coupler to the drip tape.
  3. put the barb into the hole you made.
I like to do it when I have the water on. That way you will flush any and all foreign objects out of the drip tape and header line before it clogs the emitters.

There are three ways to close the end. First, buy a coupler and attach it. Second, tie it in a knot. Finally, a triple fold and slid a scrap piece of drip tape over the fold. I opted to go with the third option.






Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. Nice blog. Thanks for sharing those valuable information about drip irrigation. The method that you have shared to close the with the help of pictures is so simple and clear to understand. Thanks for posting the images and the method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your blog here - you really break down each watering style, and your honesty on the topic is refreshing.
    You sure you're not a drip tape salesman? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there any tool to crimp the end?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There isn't a tool to crimp the end, not that I am aware of. You don't want to crimp the end anyway. Every month or so, I flush out the lines, just pull off the little pieces and let them unfold. There is an end you can attach to the end, but they are an added cost that I can't justify.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of the time you can just swap out the bad sprinkler part, such as replacing a cracked nozzle if it was cut. Even replacing the entire sprinkler head should be a simple unscrew and replace with a new one. Make this process easy on yourself, shake and wiggle the sprinkler head to push the dirt away and give yourself some room to replace the sprinkler without needed to dig around it. irrigation supplies

    ReplyDelete