April 20, 2010

Moving Day

Today was moving day. We moved our two high tunnels off position A to position B. While the broccoli and potatoes aren't as big as I had hoped, they are off to a great start. We didn't get them planted as early as I had hoped, but I am happy!

The tunnels are built on a slope. So one of the tunnels is moving uphill and one of the moving downhill. We had hoped to be able to pull the tunnels by hand. It just proved to hard, especially with my bad foot. So we resorted to using my truck. We attached two 5 foot ropes to the tunnel. Those ropes were tied to a 16 foot 2 by 6. Then we tied a long rope to one end of the 2 by 6, ran it up to my truck and brought it back to the other end of the 2 by 6. We had a few problems with it catching on stuff and the rollers coming off, but I will have all summer to fix that. We had to take out 6 bolts on each side, then move the building and redrill the holes and put the bolts back in.

K, took a video of us moving the one tunnel up the hill. I wish she took a video of us pushing the other tunnel down the hill.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment