May 28, 2012

No Rain, Day 44 and Counting

The title says it all.  Today is day 44 without significant rainfall.  We had 20 or 30 drops several times, but that doesn't count.  To go with that, we have been having highs in the 90's and south winds at 25-35 sustained for the past 4 days.  Starting to understand what the Dust Bowl went through.  Wheat harvest is starting, (a month early), center pivots have been running non-stop and dryland crops look poor.  Nonetheless, I am pushing forward. 

I have been watering almost around the clock to stay ahead, most things are looking good. We are really starting to harvest a crops and sales are picking up at the markets. 

How dry is it, I spend 4 plus hours today putting down plastic mulch for my outside peppers.  I had to run the tiller back and forth to pulverize the clods.  I ended up with a decent bed, but the soil to cover the plastic looked like this.
Photobucket

Here are the 4, 70 foot rows.  The plastic mulch is covered with dust, that is why it is gray and not black.
Photobucket

The peppers in the high tunnel are really looking great!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pickling Cucumbers are looking really good and I am picking every other day to keep them at the right size. I have sold out for the last three markets.  They are blooming and setting like crazy!

Photobucket

Inside Zucchini is looking good, Kinda concerned, it isn't blooming as much as normal. 
Photobucket

We have been picking zucchini outside for two weeks too.
Photobucket

Cucumbers are looking rough, the wind has really hurt them. I am hoping they start producing soon.
Photobucket

Not planted in this picture, but I got half of my melons planted and they are up. I hope they didn't fry in this heat in the plastic mulch.
Photobucket

Not planted in this picture either, but my Okra is really popping up.
Photobucket

Sweet potatoes went in on Thursday, not in this picture. Waiting for the last 100 to come in the mail soon.
Photobucket

Inside onions are looking nice, some really huge onions in there too!
Photobucket

Outside onions are bulbing up nice, like the crack in the ground?  They got a good soaking after this picture.
Photobucket

My pride and joy, tomatoes are LOADED!
Photobucket

Picked a few Cherry tomatoes tonight, big ones aren't quite ready.
Photobucket

Sold our first Green beans of the season on Saturday also planted the 4th planting on Saturday. 
Photobucket

Still need to transplant peppers (later this week), get more cucumbers and zucchini planted. 3rd planting of tomatoes are suppose to go in this week.  Also need to weed some things and dig potatoes (plants are already dieing too hot!)  I also have 3/8 of an acre of winter squash to plant.  Finally, I have to get thing harvested and sold.

Sorry for the long post, but I need to share some success.  We have had too many failures already.

Enjoy!

Jay
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment