May 28, 2012

Pepper time

Things are looking good for my peppers in one of my high tunnels this year.  While most of these are Bell peppers, I do have one row that is Anaheims, Jalapenos and Shishitos.  The Habaneros go outside.  I have never had good luck with them inside the high tunnel. I don't know why.

Photobucket

Lafayette, Flavorburst and Gourmet
Photobucket

"Ace" out doing itself again
Photobucket

Grande Jalapenos

Photobucket

Shishitos
Photobucket

This year I am trying a new pepper support system. Usually I put posts in line with the plants and run twine down both sides of the plants. I have found that I smash the leaves and branches down and end up with some poorly shaped bell peppers.  So this year we are putting up posts every 10-12 feet and are attaching cross pieces to each post.  Then run twine down on each side of the plants to serve as support from the wind.  As the plants get bigger, we will attach longer cross pieces and widen out the strings or only put strings on the outsides.  So far I am very happy with it and it didn't take very long to set up or many materials but build as most of the cross pieces were headed to the burn pile!

Here are some pics

End of the Row
Photobucket

A little Closer

Photobucket

In row post
Photobucket

There are more than 320 pepper plants in here.  After two bad pepper years, I am hopeful for a bumper harvest this year. 

We have more peppers going in outside. I just got the plastic mulch down yesterday. They will be transplanted later this week.

Photobucket


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Hi Friends!
    I follow the high tunnel blog through the KSUserver thing. I last saw the distress over cucumbers and aphids. I'm in California so I can't visit you, but I have an education in horticulture, Master Gardener and years of experience and other sometimes useful stuff.

    Aphids thrive in humidity aka moisture. They pierce plants for their sustenance, so they are found on tender growth and leaf undersides where the greenhouse or rainforest effect takes place for reasons such has soil moisture evaporation being trapped and water released through the stomata (openings) on leaves.

    I would investigate the humidity and watering schedule to reduce or eliminate their happy zone. One way would be to understand the days are getting shorter daylight hours which means less photosynthesis and evapotranspiration (plant and soil evaporation) going on so there's more water staying in and near the plants and ground. A drier condition might be obtained by cutting back on the water. If it's been raining, you're kinda stuck, maybe don't water til you see some water stress beyond the usual mid-day type. If its cloudy or the patch is getting shade from the tunnels or even from each other due to the foliage, again photosynthesis and soil moisture result in more water around and therefore more aphids. I've used Neem oil for things...there's a great company called ARBICO that's got all the bells and whistles for organic products-maybe you could still get some ladybugs, etc for an all out attack.
    However, as long as the water profile is high, the aphids will prevail.
    Hope this helps.
    Love from your neighbor,
    Loretta Beavis

    ReplyDelete